The concept of narcissism has often been discussed by writers, psychologists, celebrities, and more. Merriam-Websterdefines narcissismas, extremely self-centered with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
To further convince themselves that the world revolves around them, narcissists may lie to and manipulate those around them. If you comment on their behavior, a narcissist may try to turn the blame on you.
2. Narcissism falls along the axis of what psychologists call personality disordersbut by most measures, narcissism is one of the worst, if only because the narcissists themselves are so clueless. Jeffrey Kluger
3. When narcissists behave in an exhibitionistic manner, they are seeking the same sort of admiration as toddlers, and for the same reasons. They want attention. Some examples include inappropriate dress, talking too loudly, or gesturing in expansive and space-intruding ways. Mark Ettensohn
7. A narcissist is someone who has a grandiose sense of self-importance, harbors obsessive fantasies of unbounded glory, feels rage or intense shame when criticized, expects special favors, and lacks empathy. Daniel Goleman
13. A false image is, of course, a work of art, an idol. And a lie. A narcissist identifies with this image, not his true inner self. So, all he cares about is his image, not what kind of person he really is. Indeed, the latter has no real existence in his world. Kathleen Krajco
14. I think narcissists are endlessly watchable. The way they view the world and the way they interact within the world. They have no concept of their behavior or how it might be affecting other people. So comedically, its a very fun type of character to play. They are bulls in a china shop, twenty-four seven. Michael Showalter
16. Narcissists are afflicted with a bottomless appetite. . .for recognition, attention, glory, rewards. And its a zero-sum thing. Every moment a narcissist spends listening to another party guest tell a story is a moment in which the stage has been surrendered. Jeffrey Kluger
17. Im a recovering narcissist. I didnt know I was a narcissist, actually. I thought narcissism meant you love yourself, and then someone told me theres a flip side to it. So its actually drearier than self-love; its unrequited self-love. Emily Levine
19. For me narcissism is not about money. For me, narcissism is something so romantic and something so human. Everybody is a narcissist. Some people admit it and some people dont. As an artist, its important to be a narcissist. Look at Picasso, look at Warhol. As an artist, you can get away with a lot of things that normal people cannot. Nir Hod
21. Im totally a narcissist, so I was doing all this performance and having lots of weird ego time, and learning to set aside my love for the ego and find a deeper love for myself and through that seeing myself as one with all beings. And through loving myself, loving all people in the world, that was my cure for narcissism, the only cure. Larkin Grimm
23. Narcissists install a mental filter in our heads a little bit at a time. . . . Will he get upset if I do/say/think this? Will he approve/disapprove? Will he feel hurt by this? Until we can uninstall the narcissist-filter, our actions are controlled by narcissists to some degree. Sam Vaknin
28. I love narcissists-even more than they love themselves. You dont have to buoy them up. They are their own razzle-dazzle show and you are the blessed, favored with a front-row seat. Patricia Marx
29.Narcissus does not fall in love with his reflection because it is beautiful, but because it is his. If it were his beauty that enthralled him, he would be set free in a few years by its fading. W.H. Auden
34. There is simply no winning with a narcissist. He will treat you so horribly that you will become withdrawn and depressed and then he will turn around and say, Youre no fun anymore, youre always so depressed. I need to be with someone more positive. Susan WilliamsIf youre enjoying these quotes, youll love our collection of powerful depression quotes that will provide perspective.
36. You might as well bang your head into a brick wall if you expect the narcissist to be reasonable, empathetic or human in any way. If you sense or witness any of these traits, there is an ulterior motive. When the narcissist is being nice, its because they have something to gain. Tina Swithin
40. Seeking admiration is like a drug for narcissists. In the long run it becomes difficult because others wont applaud them, so they always have to search for new acquaintances from whom they get the next fix. Mitja D. Back
41. The fantasy world of Narcissists can have a seductive allure that promises to envelop you in its specialness. Their superficial charm can be enchanting, and they often appear complicated, colorful, and exciting as they draw you into their narcissistic web. Sandy Hotchkiss
45. Blogs are nothing more than a personal meandering diary for public consumption a narcissists dream. So you can imagine when bloggers take themselves and their blogs seriously, its super annoying. Carole Radziwill
46. Narcissism has existed for a long time; social media is just a new outlet to express it. Anybody who is going to record themselves and put that on the Internet, hoping people will watch, there is a degree to which that exists, yeah. I dont know if I would call myself a narcissist. I dont necessarily identify with that label. Tyler OakleyIf youre enjoying these quotes, youll love our collection of thought-provoking social media quotes.
48. Call it egotistical or narcissist, but I think thats what we all look for in books the right stories that help us make sense of the world that we, on a very personal level, live in every day. John Corey Whaley
Although narcissists seem confident at the surface, they are often dealing with internal struggles such as self-doubt and fear of failure. If you are a victim of narcissistic behavior, remember that their behavior has nothing to do with you and everything to do with their own insecurities.
Narcissists will often do anything to preserve their warped worldview. If you can, make strides to get out of that toxic relationship as soon as possible. There are tons of great people out there who will accept you as you are and will treat you with respect.